Frederick E. "Ted" Hood
In 1955, he founded Hood Sailmakers in the back of Maddie's Bar in Marblehead, but later moved the operation to the nearby Little Harbor section of that town. With his father's help, Ted was the first sail maker to weave his own sailcloth, revolutionizing the process to enhance the strength and durability of his sails. By the 1970s, Hood Sailmakers had grown into a worldwide network of service and production lofts, with his sails ubiquitous on winning yachts including all the Americas Cup winners from 1958 to 1977.
Combining a natural sailing ability with his aptitude for design, Ted built and skippered a successful series of keel and centerboard racing yachts under the name Robin. In 1959 his career took off when he won the New York Yacht Club Annual Cruise in his first Robin. He did so, not only as skipper, but as designer, builder and sail maker. In 1962 and 1964 he repeated the feat with Nefertiti in the America’s Cup trials.
Three years later he campaigned Independence, the second 12-Meter he designed, against Courageous, which he had redesigned, but was ultimately runner up in the defender trials.
By the early 1980's Ted had turned his attention away from sail making and to boat building and design. He created a line of sailboats under the "Little Harbor" name, and constructed many yachts under that name from 38’ to 78’, personally involved with design and construction details. In addition, various builders worldwide built over 1,500 yachts of his design, including the 133’ Anakena.
After selling his business in 1999, Ted continued to work on new yacht designs, including both power and sail catamarans and expedition yachts. In 2006 Ted wrote his autobiography “Ted Hood, Through Hand and Eye”, with Michael Levitt.
Ted was a member of the Corinthian, Eastern and Boston Yacht Clubs in Marblehead, the New York Yacht Club, the Cruising Club of America, Storm Trysail Club and Blue Water Sailing Club. He was named Yachtsman of the Year in 1974, was elected to the America’s Cup Hall of Fame and the National Sailing Hall of Fame.
According to his children, he was marking up drawings right into his last days. All who knew him were inspired by his innovative mind, entrepreneurial spirit and creative passion.
Sunday, October 16, 2016
Sunday, September 25, 2016
Floyd Ireson House Circle Street
Benjamin "Flood" Ireson (c.1775 – after 1808) was a 19th-century American sailor, captain of the schooner Betsy. In 1808, during a gale, the Betsy was on its way from Grand Banks to home port when it discovered another ship, the Active. The Active was wrecked and taking on water.
"Ireson tried to rescue the crew of the sinking vessel, but his own men insisted upon giving up an attempt which held considerable dangers. On return to Marblehead, the crew, finding themselves blamed for the loss of life, placed responsibility upon their captain." The people of Marblehead, the Betsy's home port, were outraged with Ireson, and he was tarred and featheredand dragged out of town in a cart.
John Greenleaf Whittier first heard the tale in 1823, and wrote a poem based on the incident, Skipper Ireson's Ride.
There was some question as to the identity of the person. In later retellings, it was "Floyd" Ireson who was punished. A series of letters in the Boston Evening Transcript in 1837 identified "Floyd" Ireson as Benjamin "Flood" Ireson. In retellings, his nickname, Flood, had become corrupted to Floyd.
"The inhabitants of Marblehead eventually recognized their mistake, but Whittier's poem served to perpetuate the original story."
Sunday, September 18, 2016
Sunday, August 7, 2016
Sunday, July 10, 2016
Halcyon built for Henry Morss 1913 by Stearns and MacKay
Seen here being taken out of the paint shop at the yard on
Front St. Marblehead prior to launching.
The Henry A. Morss Memorial Trophy
The Henry A. Morss Memorial Trophy is awarded to the winning team in the ICSA/Gill Coed Dinghy National Championship. The trophy was donated by a group of nationally known yachtsmen as a memorial to Henry A. Morss, a Boston yachtsman and 1907 Bermuda Race winner, as well as an MIT alumnus and benefactor.
The National Dinghy Championship was inaugurated in 1937, with a group of prominent yachtsmen donating the Henry A. Morss Memorial Trophy to the Inter-Collegiate Y.R.A. as a perpetual trophy in memory of a yachtsman and former MIT official who helped make possible college dinghy racing. The donors include Charles Francis Adams, Nathaniel F. Ayer, Edwin A. Boardman, Charles P. Curtis, Chandler Hovey, and Gerald B. Lambert. The Morss Trophy, which is the most coveted and important of all inter-collegiate dinghy trophies, is a simple but beautiful bowl of the Paul Revere type on which the names of the winning colleges and crews are engraved. The early competitions were sailed at MIT on the Charles River, but since 1946 the site has been rotated throughout the member districts of the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association.
Henry Morss house Harbor Ave. Marblehead Neck
Henry Morss also owned the schooner yacht "Dervish" which won the
New York to Bermuda race in 1907.
Henry Morss at the wheel of "Dervish"
"Dervish" Hamilton Bermuda Harbor 1907